The station was renamed Padeswood and Buckley in 1894. Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester. Freight facilities were withdrawn in August 1956 and the station closed in January 1958. All passenger services on the line ceased in 1962 but the line continued in use to serve a chemical factory near Mold until 1983. The track was lifted in 1985.
On the left of the picture are the railway workers cottages and at the right hand end is the larger Station Master’s house. The railway cutting has long been filled in but the houses survive.
Photographs (Chris Dawson collection)
On Saturday 8th November 1952 the Chronicle newspaper carried a report with the headline.
Out-of-this-world – Padeswood
The article highlighted a campaign by the residents of the village, at that time around 80 in number, to improve the services provided. There was no electricity. The only telephone was at the station which was not available at night; the nearest public telephone was at either Buckley or Pontblyddyn some two miles away. They did not have a drinking water supply. All water was brought in cans, four times a day from Mold station but only on weekdays.
The licensee of the Bridge Inn got his supplies from a farm pump, fetching it by car.
One of the villagers was quoted as saying ” Every time we have an election we are promised light, water and telephones. But once our vote has been recorded the village slips back to its old self again” (some things never change!)
A resident of Railway Terrace collects her cans of drinking water.