The Oil Works & Collieries
The map below is based on an OS map from the 1870′s. Much of the boundary and other details have been removed to show the Oil Works, Collieries and trackways more clearly.
The tramway running from the Coppa Oil Works passed over the 9th fairway and crossed the river to the North Wales Coal and Oil Works continuing on to the Alyn Bank Collieries on the Pontblyddyn side.
The detail above and to the left of ‘Coppa Colliery’ are the tramway/sidings and above those are the retorts where the oil was distilled.
The present Clubhouse (centre) is shown as Caeau rather than Caia as we know it today.
The tramways were narrow gauge and little remains. However, a pair of wheels have been recovered from the site.